Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Nalbinding Practice

Hello!

I have been keeping a short journal on my first attempts at nalbinding and I will hopefully be including pictures.

October 9th
Spent around an hour and a half watching (and re-watching many times) videos on how to start nalbinding (Oslo stitch). It took a long time and many frustrated attempts ending with knotted yarn before I began to get the hang of it. I ended up with three short pieces, one with a mistake I made when I lost my grip. I found it hard to get the back loop sorted out and how to shift it in my hand so that the previous loop stayed in position.
The videos that I used:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcuUqeKQZ5Q (mostly this one, the other was too hard to see what was happening).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8PXk5lTIZo



October 19
Today I learned how to join nalbinding into the round, which is apparently the only way that you can do it. Knitting can be done in the round but it can also be done working back and forth.

I had trouble figuring out how to join yarn once I had run out of it. I looked for a videos or explanations but couldn’t really find any. In the end I just made some loops with the new yarn and added them to the loop on my thumb and continued on from there. This seems to have worked but I have the problem of loose yarn ends sticking out and getting caught in my work. I cut most of them off but some of them I weaved in. It was essential to keep a pair of scissors next to me all of the time. The area where I first joined the ends was quite messy after a few rounds (especially since I seemed to always run out of yarn when I got around and back to that spot) so I fixed it up the best I could.
Also… I am afraid of putting down my work (taking the loop off of my thumb) for fear that it will get lost somehow and I won’t be able to figure out how to pick it up again. I worked on it for about 45 minutes, (maybe less) from the beginning to when I took the pictures.
The yarn I have been using is not 100% wool but I figured it would be ok since I am just practicing.

Very messy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment