Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

First attempt at Nalbinding, York Stitch

For my first foray into the realm of nalbinding, I decided to try the york stitch, also known as the coppergate stitch instead of the more common oslo stitch. I have had some experience in the textiles here and there but I'm not particularly enthusiastic about knitting as soon as the cold hits. I began by watching tutorial videos for about half an hour, I settled on this one as my primary guide...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7eOlUDyy1Q 
Initially I found the method simple enough, however, when I actually did it, I felt like I was banging my head on a wall. As easy as it may look in the video, there are plenty of smaller things that you need to pay attention to, the placement of your fingers, the tightness of the loops as well as which loop you're picking up, not letting your hand slip (learned that the hard way). Picking up the wrong loop can result in what I saw as a strange floaty hole, and overall it looks like a pretty obvious mistake on your part at the end. For a little while I was confused as to why my piece looked nothing like the one in the video, so I was constantly re-starting (what a waste of yarn...). It took me a while to realize that the motion of looping was causing the yarn to twist and seem like I was doing it wrong but once it was stretched out and untwisted, it better resembled the one from the video. Now I say better resembled but what I really mean is, it was still pretty far off from the video, I just felt somewhat better about myself knowing that I wasn't entirely inept at nalbinding.

No comments:

Post a Comment